17th March 2010
Matt Cutts Interviewed on Site Architecture
Matt Cutts has given a very useful interview with Eric Enge, which rounds up a lot of information architecture and technical architecture issues. There's nothing really new here, but it's good to get all this info into one place and to see it confirmed by Matt. Topics covered:
- crawl budget/indexation cap - the use of Pagerank and host load to control crawl depth and frequency
- the effect of duplicate content on Pagerank
- session IDs and affiliate IDs in links/URLs
- faceted navigation - good to see Matt confirming that the advice I gave at SES London, and will be giving next week at SMX Munich, is all correct.
- Different ideas for use of the rel=canonical tag
- 301 redirects and how they differ from 302 redirects
- Google Webmaster Tools (WMT) ignore parameters
- Pagerank Sculpting and its effectiveness in the modern world
- Paid links and nofollow
Overall, the article strongly reinforces the fact that a successful site architecture is essential to SEO success.